This week (18-24th May) we are being encouraged by the British Tomato Growers Association to buy home grown British tomatoes, tomatoes are very healthy and delicious whether they are eaten raw or cooked, they are a good source of Vitamins A, C and E and contain minerals such as potassium which can lower blood pressure and calcium which we need for healthy bones and teeth.
Here is a simple tasty idea to use your British Tomatoes:
Easy Pizza with home made Tomato Sauce
- 800g ripe fresh tomatoes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 to 2 tsp dried Italian or mixed herbs or a handful of fresh Basil chopped or torn into small pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground Black pepper
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese and toppings
What you need to do
- In a large pan heat the oil on medium/low and cook the onion until soft and translucent then add the crushed garlic and cook for a couple of minutes, do not allow to burn.
- Chop your tomatoes and add to the pan with the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and blend until smooth.
- This sauce is delicious with pasta and can be frozen.
- If you are making pizzas with children for speed and convenience use a packet pizza base mix or buy ready made pizza bases, then spread your Pizza Sauce over the base with the back of a spoon, sprinkle on grated Mozzarella Cheese and add your favourite topping the combinations are endless: Ham, Salami, Pepperoni, Chicken, Tuna, Prawns, Mushroom, Onion, Peppers, Pineapple, Olives, Sweetcorn…
- Bake in the oven at 230C/450F/Gas mark 8 for about 15 minutes until crisp and golden.
Nothing beats the taste of freshly picked home grown tomatoes, when they are ready it’s often a race as to who gets to them first, make sure you grow plenty a lot won’t make it back to the kitchen.
If you want to have a go at growing your own tomatoes young plants are widely available now in shops and garden centres for more information and full growing instructions click here.
Why not have a go at making your own Pizzas this week.