This Sunday on Father’s Day why not tempt your Dad out of bed with the irresistible smell of freshly baked home made Flapjack. This is a recipe that I use again and again and with delicious results every time.
- 200g (7oz) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 80g (3oz) light muscovado sugar
- 350g (12oz) rolled oats
- 100g (3.5oz) approx Raisins or Sultanas (add more/less if preferred)
- 10 approx Glace cherries chopped (add more/less if preferred)
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5 /Electric Oven 190C / Fan Oven 170C.
- Lightly grease an 18cm x 30cm (7inch x 12inch) tin and fully line with greaseproof paper.
- Heat the butter, syrup and sugar in a large saucepan until the butter has melted.
- Add the Raisins/Sultanas and Cherries and stir, then add the rolled oats and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the lined tin and press down with a fork so that the mixture fills the corners and that any air pockets are removed.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden, keep checking towards the end of cooking as if overcooked they will not have that lovely soft texture (All ovens vary slightly I cook mine at 170C (Fan) for 10 minutes then turn the tray round and cook for another 10 minutes).
- Once cooled you should be able to easily lift out the flapjack holding the greaseproof paper, and then cut into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Flapjack is packed full of energy and will keep you going whatever you have planned on this special day, it also makes a perfect addition to a lunch box, family picnic or a day out.