Broad beans are at their yummy seasonal best round about now. Try them with bacon for a delicious side dish or snack.
2 or 3 cups of broad beans
6 rashes of bacon
dash of olive oil
- Add the shelled broad beans to a pan of boiling water
- Cook for 2 minutes
- Drain and rinse through cold water
- Remove the outer skins
- In a frying pan, add a dash of olive oil and cook the bacon until crispy
- Add a finely chopped onion and cook until the onion is clear
- Add the pre-cooked broad beans and heat through
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve and enjoy!
…And if you would like to avoid wasting the broad bean pods why not trim and remove stringy edges, cut into 3 to 4 cm strips, dip into flour and shallow fry for a slightly unhealthy but tasty treat.