October 21st is Apple Day, it is an annual celebration of apples and orchards, there are lots of organized events being held around the country, at many of these events you can: taste locally grown apples, have a look at apple orchards, talk to the growers, bring with you one of your unknown varieties of apple for the experts to identify, watch cookery demonstrations using apples and taste the results, learn about growing, pruning and grafting apple trees, buy apple produce (jams, jellies, chutneys, cakes, pies etc.), cooking equipment, apple crushers, apple presses, harvesting equipment such as ladders, apple pickers, apple wizards, fruit stores and storage boxes not to mention apple trees to start off your own ‘orchard’ and much, much more, they make a great day out for all the family.
Last week Sylvia arrived in the office with a large bag of her own freshly picked apples to share amongst the staff. Thomas is not a great fan of apples so I started thinking of ways to try and tempt him, this idea made me ‘smile’ and would be great for a children’s party – especially a Halloween Party.
Scary Apple Smiles
What you will need
- Red skinned apples
- Lemon Juice
- Caramel/Toffee/Chocolate/Peanut Butter Spread
- White mini Marshmallows
What you need to do
- Wash you apples and cut them into quarters.
- Trim off the core and seeds and cut out a wedge from the skin side of each quarter.
- Brush the flesh with lemon juice to stop it from turning brown.
- Fill the ‘gap’ with a spoonful of stiff Caramel/Toffee/Chocolate/Peanut Butter Spread.
- For the ‘teeth’ place your mini marshmallows in rows, one at the top and one along the bottom.
Was Thomas tempted? Yes, but I think the Toffee Spread had a lot to do with it!!
Why not give it a try?